What are labels and how to use labels in Blogger to sort your content?Posted in Blogging By Sureyea
Are you using your Blogger labels in a right way to sort your content or you just spamming it? We see most new bloggers think labels as a Meta keywords and just spamming it. So in this post we will see what labels in blogger are and how to use labels the right way. It might differ in other blogging platforms. So in wordpress instead of labels we have categories and tags and we made a detailed article for wordpress users in order to better understand categories and tags in wordpress.
Now it’s time to explain about labels in Blogger. Categories, tags and labels all the three are same and their main purpose is to sort your content. Labels are mainly for your site visitors for better navigational purpose and not for search engines. By sorting right content using right labels your visitors can easily pick the right topic that they are interested in.
What are labels in Blogger?
Labels are known as blog categories. For example services, about us, contact us are pages that you add it in your menu tabs. So that users can know about your blog what service you offer this and that etc. Labels are linked pages that show several related blog posts.
For example let’s say you running a cookery blog and you are posting about “how to make a pizza” and you are sorting it with three labels such as cooking, oven and pizza. Now you are posting another topic about “how to make French fries” and you are sorting it with fry pan, French fries and cooking. So if your visitors want to learn more about cooking they will use the label cooking which contains two posts.
Labels help users to pick related posts that they are interested in just as like related posts widget that you show below your blog posts.
How many labels in blogger are too much?
This question actually depends upon your blog topics. In wordpress we have two options, where we use categories as main topics and tags as micro topics. In Blogger you have only one option that is labels. You can have as many labels you want for your site, but sort your content with not more than three labels and not more than three words per label. Never have a label with no posts in it.
For better navigation and user experience you can show your labels in both menu tabs and in sidebar. Show your main blog labels in your menu tab that is the label that has most filled article. Show labels in sidebars that has fewer topics in it.
Labels in search engine optimization
As it’s already mentioned above labels are only for humans and not for search engines. So use labels wisely to sort your content and never spam your keywords. When your posts increases your blog labels will also get increased so better is to have rel=noindex and nofollow tags. By default you labels are blocked in your robots.txt so you don’t need to worry about this.
How to use labels in Blogger menu tab and sidebar
Adding labels in your menu tab and sidebar is easy and here is a tutorial about adding labels in Blogger menu tab.
To add labels in Blogger sidebar login to your Blogger dashboard >> layout and select add a gadget from sidebar. Now open labels in the popup window and configure it as you like. Once done save the layout arrangement.
Blogger labels – key points
Keep in mind that labels are only to enhance your user experience so…
- Use labels wisely to sort your content
- Do not use more than three labels per post
- Do not use more than three words per labels
- Never have or add labels with no post in it.
Hope this article helped you with better understand labels and how to use labels in Blogger. Share, comment and subscribe for blog updates.
- How to rename Blogger labels – Changing existing label names in Blogger Tagging each and every post will make your site visitors to easily navigate and moreover it helps them to discover related posts within your site. To better organize your site...
- Popup window for Blogger – Popup window code You might notice in some websites that a popup window opens suddenly without the knowledge of you which leads to other websites and they do it for some promotional purpose....
- How to create sitemap for Blogger blog – Blogger sitemap XML A Sitemap is nothing but a list of accessible pages in your website. Sitemaps helps search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing to easily crawl pages in your site which...
- How to recover deleted Blogger blog – Restore deleted blog in Blogger Blogger is a free blogging tool with several limits where one can create up to 100 blogs per account. Since it is free and with a limit of 100 blogs,...
- How to add CSS in Blogger – Understanding CSS in Blogger Want to add some cool effects to your blog like snow fall, 3D fonts, neon texts, box shadows or you want to take your blog’s design to the next level,...