How to make wordpress menu item open in new window / tabPosted in How to, Wordpress By Sureyea
This post is the continuation of how to make wordpress menu item not clickable.
WordPress menu system is really flexible and its simple interface even makes a beginner to understand easily. Recently a visitor asked us about making menu item open in a new tab with a link to external site. If you are adding external link from your post or page then you can make the link open in a new tab by adding target=”blank”. In wordpress menus you don’t have the option to add HTML. In this post we will see how to make wordpress menu item open in new window / tab.
At some occasions you will really need this where you wish to make the wordpress menu item open in a new window / tab. In wordpress menus you well know that by using custom link you can add a menu item linking to external URL. If you are running similar sites in same niche then you can show off and link from your menu tab. But when linking to external site from menu tab you have to make it open in a new window / tab. So the visitors jump to external site without leaving your current site.
How to make wordpress menu item open in new window / tab
Making wordpress menu item open in a new window/ tab is simple. There is an advanced menu properties in wordpress menus which is hidden by default.
- In your wordpress dashboard go to Appearance >> menus
- Now at the top right corner you will see screen option. Just drop down.
- In screen options check the link target box in advanced menu properties.
- Now you will see “open link in new window/tab” option in each menu item.
- Just check the option for each menu item that you are willing to open in a new window / tab.
- Save menu when you are done.
Hope this helped you on how to make wordpress menu item open in new window / tab. Now read how to make parent menu item unclickable. Please share and subscribe to our RSS feeds.
- How to make wordpress menu item not clickable – Unclickable menu item Have you ever wondered how some sites make specific link unclickable that is the main navigational parent menu item? You can notice this in some e-commerce sites and business sites....
- How to create a separate page for blog posts in wordpress – Blog page Have you ever thought of showing your blog posts in a separate page instead of showing it in your main page? You well know that wordpress is a best CMS...
- How to embed media files in wordpress (Audio & Video) For beginners we have been posting a lots of “how to” guides for wordpress and recently we made a post on how to embed Google maps in wordpress site hope...
- How to set multiple languages in wordpress dashboard You might be a web designer and your native language is English and you are just designing a wordpress site for a Brazilian guy whose native language is Portuguese and...
- How to change wordpress username – Change username admin for security Do you need to change you wordpress username that is the default username admin, then take a look at this post. In wordpress user settings you can only change your...